Today on All Comics Considered, to kick of Black History Month, Marty and Tim discuss the state of the late great Dwayne McDuffie’s Milestone/EarthM and the Shuri Series! Let’s turn the page!
Milestone and EarthM
It’s been over 3 years since the Milestone relaunch was first announced and at this point we don’t have any idea if it’s happening or not.
Timeline by Lojo
- January 2015: Reggie Hudlin, Denys Cowan, and Derek Dingle announce the return of Milestone under the name Milestone Media 2.0.
- July 2015: DC announces partnership with Milestone 2.0, relaunching the Dakotaverse under the name Earth M.
- 2015-2017: We hear nothing about the relaunch, but an occasional it’s still happening.
- May-June 2017: Michael Davis, an original co-founder of Milestone, writes two articles about how he was left out of the reboot and why he thinks Milestone 2.0 is going to fail.
- August2017: We learn the reason that the relaunch hasn’t happened is a lawsuit between the Dwayne Mcduffie estate and Milestone 2.0. The lawsuit claims Milestone 2.0 hadn’t included McDuffie’s shares in the new company and that his estate had been excluded from all plans for the relaunch.
- October 2017: DC and Milestone announce that Earth M will launch in Spring 2018.
- 2018: Earth M does not launch in Spring. We later hear that it was moved to October and again nothing happens with little information given. The last we heard Bendis wanted to use Static in Young Justice, but was denied permission from Milestone.
Writer: Nnendi Okorafor
TED Talk: https://youtu.be/Mt0PiXLvYlU
Artist: Leonardo Romero